Friday, March 7, 2014

A World Slowed Way Down (Trains pt 7)

As much as I have talked up train travel, I hope anyone reading this gets a sense of my biggest caveat: If you are going to throw yourself at the mercy of a railed transit system, time can NOT be your enemy.  The number one rule is to accept that you are going to be late more often than not.

Amtrak boats a 50% on-time schedule.  How sad is that?  Does anyone else find a coin flip a touch ironic?  What’s worse is that personal experience has proven this to be an unwarranted exaggeration as Amtrak is only batting 28% for me so far.

Of all the delays, the westbound Empire Builder out of Chicago has been the worst, arriving in Seattle 8 hours behind schedule.  If an Empire truly was built, it must have been completed long after anyone expected it to be.  I should consider myself lucky though as the eastbound Empire was already 16 hours behind schedule when we passed them in western North Dakota.  That’ll ruin a weekday.

Look, I get that delays are always going to be a part of train travel, especially now that freight traffic is so common.  What I don’t get is how the majority of this traffic happens in areas where real estate costs pennies on the dollar.  Even though I will concede a lack of education in these matters, I must believe that the rail owners have done their research.  How they believe that a single track makes sense anywhere but tunnels and on thin mountainsides is beyond me.

Freight traffic though is at least expected.  I think the worst delays I have come across are the ones due to the federally mandated 12 shifts for the train and engine crews.  While I get that it is important for engineers and conductors to be well rested, I am curious why they are more important than any other crewmember.  Odder still is that it is okay for me to pull 16 hour days 3 times a week working in a mental hospital with dangerous patients or truck drivers (who actually have to steer in addition to braking and throttle) can pull 14 hour shifts, but an individual who biggest concern is a stalled car, must stop, one the spot, after 12 hours. 

I get that boredom can cause fatigue but why force an entire train of people to be late simply because 12 hours is up?  How difficult or costly would it be to carry an extra crewmember and let the one needing the relief use the sleeper and dining cars like the conductors do?  God forbid, maybe we could even let them keep driving to the station where the new crew is waiting?  Surely an extra hour or two isn’t going to kill anyone.  It seems to work for almost every other industry.

Sadly though, the delays don’t end here.  In only three weeks I have witnessed an idiot believe the insurance company wouldn't notice his purposeful drive onto the tracks and I've sat through a three hour wait so a crew of three could slowly remove a large tree felled by an ice storm from our track.  

There always seems to be something. 

With concerted effort though, I can deal with these issues.  What I have found I cannot handle is an engineer minimizing a delay or, worse, giving a poorly calculated guesstimate.  Though I realize that no one can truly tell how long a delay may take, wouldn’t it make more sense to overestimate a timeframe than allow us to believe we'll be moving quickly?  Everyone on board already knows that trains are inefficient, exceed expectations.  It makes no sense to give false hope when you have no actual control over the outcome.

Even with all of the rampant inefficiency I still believe that train travel could rival and take over for air travel over the shorter distances and it definitely beats travel by car over the long hauls in terms of comfort.   For my money, unless I was back in my ’81 VW Westy, a train is the best option, though I will admit that the perpetual delays are starting to make me reconsider. 

If you do decide to take the train, know that you will wait at some point.  This truth will not change until the owners of the rail lines realize that a little expense now will go a long ways towards profitability later.


No comments: