Sunday, March 2, 2014

Trains, Planes and no Automobiles (Train pt 5)

Though I would love to profess to be, I am not a world traveler.  Sure, I have been across the Pacific to both Japan and Hong Kong, but most of the world is still a mystery to me.  Though the idea of journeying to more exotic places is alluring, I wonder if travel is something I truly covet as my strongest memories aren't of palatial buildings or luminescent landscapes but surround instead the recollection of how cramped seats and close proximity to at least one other person makes me a little crazy only hours into any flight.

Growing up in a frugal family I was taught that the added expense of first class are an unnecessary splurge.  My time on the train thus far has made me seriously reconsider this education.  While I can understand and appreciate the sentiment of saved dollars, there is a lot to be said about having enough room next to you to stretch out and appreciate the trip.

I know Lewis would agree as the rarified air of, at minimum, monthly trips across vast oceans has a way of granting almost any individual expert status on the difference between toiling away in economy class and that glorious upgrade to business.  The horrors of travel conversation came up when he realized that he only had upgrades enough for either he or Kelley to travel business class on their weekend jaunt to San Diego.  As it turns out, that minute difference between a two and a three seat row and an extra 6 inches of legroom means a world of difference in comfort to just about everyone.

Knowing that Lewis would give up his business class seat to sit with his wife, I suggested the train.  I fear this fell upon poignantly deaf ears.

I guess not everyone shares my appreciation of this type of travel, though I bet many would if they had more free time.  And that is the catch; to travel by train one needs time, patience and perspective.  Thankfully, I have at least a semblance of all three.  

Perhaps it is the sense of possible adventure that keeps me moving, or maybe it is the odd feeling of nostalgia elicited from the perpetual clicking of the train’s wheels; either way, I have found that even across durations longer than any plane ride, the feelings of anxiousness and soreness have so far eluded me.

I would soon put this to the test with an extended trek to Chicago.

35 hours on a train doesn't seem like a long time, but then I calculated that this meant a full day and a half of confinement, and that would be with no delays.  But that is the trade-off, time for comfort.  You have to accept that, especially in heavy freight districts that can make you feel like an LA commuter during rush hour, a trip by train will just take time.  If you can embrace the ability to stretch out and relax as you sit and wait though, it is an incomparable experience.  

This is the best thing about traveling on a train, you actually get a chance to watch as the world passes by.  With no ability to get anywhere quickly you have endless hours to read, write or just sit back and watch the country unfold in front of you.  And what a country it is.

During the course of my life I have been fortunate enough to have seen much of this great land.  By plane and by car, I have marveled at the distinct beauty and uniqueness of different regions and landscapes.  What I marvel most at though is the pervasive commonality of people and scenery I feel exuded from everywhere I go; something always reminds me of home.

The best part is that you get to see and experience it all from a different perspective.  Not only are you cutting through patches of earth no cars have access to, you are doing so with the freedom to just sit and stare at the sheer magnitude of mountains, the rolling hills of the Midwest, and the plentiful wild beasts looking up with an apathetic awareness as you whiz by. 


If you ever get the chance I highly recommend a trip, even one as short as a couple of hours.  Bring a book, a laptop or just stare out the window and watch as the world you often breeze through comes slowly back into focus.

No comments: