Friday, January 10, 2014

What college is REALLY about

So, I quit my job at OSU a few weeks ago. Though it is tough to quantify why in the world I would quit a job in which my sole duty is to play sports with college kids, especially one that, hourly at least, pays pretty well, the realization that, while employed at OSU, I would never move on and find a real job began to finally sink in a few months ago. And so I begin the next chapter of my life, one in which I hope to find a similar amount of joy, a larger and more stable paycheck, and, especially, more of an ability to make a difference in people's lives.

You see, the main thing I enjoyed about teaching at OSU, and the thing I will, without a doubt, miss the most, is the opportunity to talk to, get to know and give advice to kids who lack direction or someone to talk to. Anyone who has taken a class from me knows that I use the term teacher loosely; while I did indeed spend some time organizing and directing skill building, most of the time I spent getting to know the individuals in my class more personally. I loved to seek out those that I knew needed to talk, to give them an opportunity to share, and to teach them how to do the same for others they meet throughout life.

For me, my classes were not so much about the sport. Sure, there are inherent benefits to each, the activity benefiting mind, body and soul, the interaction promoting growth and development of life and connection and the organization building consistency and life-long love, but I saw the classes as a platform to do something else, promote what a college experience is really about. You see, presently, colleges don't TRULY care about the kids who attend them.

College has become big business. Their concern is to put your butt in a seat, not the ensure that you have the skill set or job opportunity once you are done. As they see it (and it isn't necessarily an incorrect thought) every student has an opportunity to make the most out of their experience and, from this, create their own future. Let's be honest though, as a whole, most administrators don't exactly do a whole lot of assisting when it comes to this, the same goes for many faculty. They are too busy and concerned with the growth and promotion of their university or personal career as this ensures future employment. The only time and individual hears from a university is when the individual misses a tuition check.

College is no longer about teaching and promoting individuals who will be business/job ready, rather it is about making sure everyone believes that college is a MUST; that somehow, if you don't attend college, you will be unable to find work, to pay your bills or to become a productive member of society. And, with many jobs, they are right. But this is where I realize I come in.

I realized long ago that a chimp could do what I do, it isn't difficult and certainly it isn't (at least not in the truest sense) academic.  But I am capable things that our ancestral kin cannot do, I am able to help the kids in school make the most out of their experience. You see, for me, college is about three things: 1) to figure out who you are and what you are good at. Take as many different classes, meet as many new people, ask a ton of questions, join ANY club that interests you, make mistakes and poor decisions and learn what made them wrong. Basically, stretch yourself and get out of your comfort zone. Rarely is anyone able to grow when they don't actually try anything new. 2) Figure out how your brain is wired. You see, bac core classes are not there solely to take your money (if it feels like that, you are doing it wrong, or at least have the wrong perspective) they are actually there to give you access to a wide array of classes and possibilities. You see, the worst thing you can do (unless of course you are one of those lucky few who have known for a while EXACTLY what they want to do) is to come into college with an definitive idea of what you want to do (or, worse, what your parents or someone else told you to do). Bac core classes will teach you what you are good at, what you enjoy and what your brain is geared towards. You see, we are ALL different. Every person in this world thinks, sees and processes in their own way (thank god, as homogeneity would be boring as hell). Sure, there are many people LIKE us, but no one is you. Which leads me to 3) Get to know AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. You see, college is about making connections. You never know who in what class may be your future spouse or your future boss. There are, literally, THOUSANDS of people at your college. Meet them. In class introduce yourself to the person next to you, ask simple questions ("how was your weekend", "ready for the test", "where are you from", "how are you liking college so far") and give genuine responses. Realize that not every conversation is going to go as you would hope (that hot sorority girl probably isn't going to fall madly in love with you just because you asked how she is doing), but the more that you talk to people the more you are going to realize that there are people out there like you.

College is about YOU. You have to make the most out of your time there. I see far too many kids, and I was one myself, who are in college to party and have fun. While this is not a terrible thing (it is the best way to get to know people) moderation is key (to EVERYTHING in life). Realize that you MUST work to get good grades, without them you will have a piece of paper good enough to get you an entry level job open to any competent individual. College is a time to excel, to separate yourself from the masses as you learn what masses you feel the most connected to so that you may find a career and not just a job.

If you find a job you love you will never work a day in your life. Though this is an overused adage, there are very few phrases that ever were more succinct and spot on. And so I hope to do the same. While I would love to teach a class to incoming freshman outlining these very principles (and numerous others innately necessary) something tells me that my overall message that not all of them need to be in college would go over too well. And so I will continue to search. Ideas accepted.

3 comments:

Rica said...

Ever thought of working with OSU's Summer Bridge program or something comparable elsewhere? I'm sure it doesn't pay well and it's not year-round, but it might give you the opportunity to influence college students in a different context.

AD said...

Never heard of it, but it looks like an absolutely awesome program. Would love something of that nature full-time for sure...

Rica said...

I imagine there are programs like it that run throughout the academic year.