Friday, February 27, 2009

Parenting thoughts, from the single guy

I have always wondered the difference between intelligence and smarts. Intelligence seems to be rote memory recall, the ability to recite a mathematical equation or the Gettysburg address on command, smarts more the ability to adapt, to understand the concept and the reason behind both equation and speech. I wonder which, if either, I am and have come to the conclusion that I'm not necessarily smart or intelligent, just a bit more analytical.

I love to analyze, to see the layers of the question or the problem rather than just the simplicity of the surface. The joke is that I am deeper than a riverbed after a drought but I've always known that I have seen the world differently than most people.

All around me it seems as though people are worried only about what they see directly in front of them, the problem at hand and its affects on them and them alone. They often lose sight of, or purposefully overlook, everything else, pretending to not recognize or plainly forgetting its existence.

I honestly cannot grasp how anyone is unable to understand the depth of decisions. It seems as though empathy, the ability to place oneself in another's shoes, is a lost art. Perhaps it is the day and age, our brains bombarded by a societal mainstream of self indulgence, that takes our focus from community and places it squarely on status.

I watch too many parents try to befriend their children instead of reprimand them, as if the child's opinion of the parent is more important than the parent's opinion of the child. I see parents who are trying to keep up with their kids, that desire to be "cool" pushing them to go so far as to even borrow their kid's clothes.

I have no problem with parents asking their kids for assistance with fashion, I have seen far too many white calf socks with Birkenstocks to know that parents are often incapable or oblivious to anything but comfort, but wish it would stop when parents find themselves dressing for the kid's friends rather than their own.

Or perhaps that is the larger problem, maybe the High School dynamic has carried over into adulthood. It's almost as if we grew up in job and responsibility but still care to judge and please based upon some out-of-whack hierarchical scale where status still reflects value.

I know that growing old sucks, that time speeds up exponentially with every passing birthday, but I wish we would stop trying to hold on to our youth so tightly, to stop judging one another on how smooth our skin is and rather judge based upon how wise our words are. But we have always valued youth, as if to embrace it gives us one more chance to vicariously relive ours.

We all have the ability to affect the world, we do every day with every decision we make. Parents have a unique position in that they are the ones most capable of teaching a child, their interactions shaping the values and perspectives of that child on a daily basis. Perhaps, instead of trying to be a peer, parents should more readily embrace their role model status.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear these sentiments out of one your age....I have 2 daughter-in-laws, your age, that are so afraid of their kids not liking them that they can't act as parents. One can only "advise" grown children...they get to raise kids as they see fit - I'm only afraid that all of us will reap the consequences of such actions.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your opinion on intelligence and smarts. I too analyze and dig deeper than the surface to understand why. My friends still have to remind me to not over-analyze. I just like looking at a problem, and really the world, from a different perspective than most.

Really this whole blog hits home for me, except for the fact I don't have any kids and that is not a step I'm ready to take yet. But I would like to think I would assume that role model position as a parent.

The best part is the "High school hierarchy" paragraph. I don't have a lot of years under my belt, but I am educated enough to know that most of college and, well most of a person's 20's, are just an extension of high school. We are constantly being judged for our appearance and for superficial conversations with people that seemingly can't go any deeper into a subject/problem than the "how" and "what". There is no "why" anymore because (and this may be a bit cynical) our society doesn't have time for the "why".

Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I came here looking for a few extra credit points, but was quickly sucked into your words. Every one I have read so far has somehow touched me and I have felt a connection with and I plan on reading many more.

I agree with you one thousand percent when you talk about people being judged. I have had many friends tell me they did not expect me to be the way I am just from looking at me. Its funny how we can create this entire person in our mind just off of their looks, but then when you actually get to know them they are completely different. I cannot say that I myself don't judge people based on appearance. I would have never guessed after walking into that class on the first day you would have written anything like this. The important thing is to not let our judgments of others get in the way of getting to know them and finding out who they really are.

I also find myself analyzing everything and wondering if there is a single person in this world who thinks on the same level as me. I guess now I know! As for the kids, I myself do not have any. But I will always remember what you have written when I do someday have kids, and now when I take care of my nephew.

Thank you for opening my eyes, I will be sure to continue reading in the future.

Flo D. said...

Interesting to read comments from an observer of parent-child relationships; you must see alot of such relationships in your experience with club sports.
If and when you look for a woman (or man) to hang out with long term, please find someone with a practical or at least down-to-earth approach to life; you'll learn about and share different perspectives and stay interested in each other longer!
Have fun on your trip! Spring and summer are great at the national parks in the west (Bryce & Zion, Bad Lands, Mt Rushmore, etc) so enjoy! Flo D.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.