Tuesday, February 10, 2009

An open letter of hope to Volkswagen (Trip Part 1)

My name is Andrew Donaldson and I am about to embark on an experience that will be, for me, as challenging as I expect it to be rewarding. I am writing to you at Volkswagen to ask for any assistance you can offer in exchange for the exposure and advertising granted from a three month trip into the diversity of this great country.

I have been a Volkswagen loyalist for years, my first memories surround both a baby blue VW Rabbit and a bright yellow VW Vanagon (though, going farther back, I can recall daily attempts at toilet training involving Cheerios, a kid's toilet and M & M's in the back of a dark green VW Microbus). The trend continues, as my daily ride is an '03 Passat, a much loved and comfortable drive for a daily commute.

My plan is this: in Late March I am taking off from my home and job in Corvallis, OR for a three month sabbatical from all things stressful. I plan to hit all of the lower 48, seeing the country for it's beauty and diversity as I think through life, find my next permanent destination and talk with innumerable people along the way about life and living.

The plan includes a van to serve as my home away from home. Right now I am looking into a '91 VW Vanagon Carat and, while I know it will be a great vehicle for the trip, as the current owner has outlined his vast road trip travels through all sorts of terrain and weather with nary a problem, I am curious as to whether you at Volkswagen would have any interest in sponsoring the trip? My ideal would be a the donation of a VW Eurovan camper of any make and model, as their comfort, storage and kitchen would maximize comfort and convenience to go along with a smooth rode and trustworthy mechanics. Of course, this being a tight economy, I would be placated by a large VW sticker for the back window of my van.

I know that assistance, especially in a time and economy that makes car sales in need of a defibrillator, is difficult to come by, but I hope that I can convince you this trip would be as beneficial for VW's Eurovan product line as it is sure to be for my psyche. My payment would be my advertising and exposure. My advertising would be near daily ("near" due to a forseen lack of Wi-Fi) inclusion of pictures and writings about the van and it's role in my daily life, the exposure would come from the daily journeys the van and I take along the roads and highways and the chats with the individuals as curious about our journey as they are about our comfort. (sample writing: ad-travelsoflife.blogspot.com).

I thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing from you. I can be reached at aminos12@hotmail.com or by phone (541)908-0897.

Thanks,
ad

2 comments:

Brian M said...

Sounds like a great way to spend 3 months to me! Looking forward to hearing how it goes, better be lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a good idea. Sometimes getting out and experiencing new things can really bring some much needed perspective and relaxation. I hope VW takes you up on the offer and supplies you with a van, or at least something.