Thursday, February 26, 2009

I sent a letter to Oprah today... (Family Part 5)

I cannot count the number of times people have told me that this whole situation, my bio parents finding me after 34 years, is made for a movie...

I have talked with my bio parents and two of my half sisters and it seems that we all agree that this is such a crazy story that we may as well make something from it. On my trip, one of my main goals is to write a book a book about my life and this journey, Laura has been attempting to do so from her perspective as well, and in talking with Ashleigh, we have decided to collaborate on a screen play, as she is a film major and loves the idea of tinkering around with a story.

I logged onto the Oprah website tonight and looked under the "Be on the show" and was directed to a "Tell us your story" page that was filled with a variety of topics ranging from makeovers to health, sex to decorating, and struggled to find the right topic for this story. In looking under the "Friends and family" the "Has FACEBOOK changed your life?" header popped out at me. Seeings how Facebook has been the primary means of communication between my bio family and myself (I have not yet talked in person with any of my half sisters) that seemed to be the most appropriate.

I quickly filled out the form, butterflies rising slightly at the fearful thought of having to sit on the same couch Tom Cruise professed his girlish love for Kate on, and struggled with the concept of 2000 CHARACTERS versus words. Finally figuring out that they did not want to read a novel I sent:

34 years ago, in Osaka, Japan, my parents of 15 gave birth to me and, knowing the difficulty and struggle of trying to raise a child as children themselves, gave me up for adoption. I lived in Japan for a year and was then taken back to the US (being born on a Naval base, American in both blood and naturalization). My bio parents tried dating but fate intervened and they went their separate ways, living their lives apart for 30 years when, unbeknownst to me, they reconnected a few years ago and got married in '07. They had been searching for me for while and, as of two weeks ago Wed, they found me. Facebook is our primary means of communication....

I do not know what direction this story will take, I expect it will die off quietly, but I am curious to see what is thought about it. I have never been one to take risks, but am finding that recently I am more open to the possibility. I wonder how or if this risk will reward...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, face book is an excellent way to find a missing person.

I lived in IL for one year. After that, I moved to Oregon. I tried to find one of my instructors, and I did. That cannot be done without FaceBook

Megan @ Lovely Happenings said...

I hope you make it on Oprah. I love Oprah. You have a rather epic story so it's totally possible. My good friend from high school was on Oprah....he didn't even have that great of a story and he met Cal Ripken Jr. on it as well. Best of luck with everything.