Saturday, March 28, 2009

Meeting the sisters

I met two of my half-sisters a couple of days ago, Rachel and Ali, the daughters of my biological father from his first marriage. It had been a month since I last left Jim and Laura's house in Tigard, my mom dancing barefoot in the streets, and decided to stop by one more time before I departed.

Waiting a month in between visits seems to me to be a bit harsh - I know how much they want to get to know me - but it is something I felt I needed as this whole thing has been difficult to wrap my head around. I have tried, over the last month, to keep in sporadically consistent contact with Jim and Laura but have opted to spend more time getting to know my sisters, mainly out of the ease similarity of age and situation presents.

The last couple of weeks I have spent preparing for my trip and at the same time trying to sort out the whole biological connection that has been presented to me. Even though they love close, up until the trip north last Sunday I had not met any of my sisters face to face.

Ashleigh, a cute blond who's sorority looks mask an incredibly complex mind, is the oldest at 26 and the product of my mom's relationship in Grants Pass. Currently living in New Zealand with her boyfriend, she and I seem to have very similar personalities, their quirks and intricacies sharing like outlets. I was hoping to meet her when she came back through Oregon in June on her way to a more permanent living situation in San Francisco, but it sounds like she may be staying until September now. In the meantime we will continue to converse via Facebook, a shared sarcastic outlook on life bonding us.

Laura's youngest at 24, Brin is a shy and incredibly sweet redhead living in Grants Pass with her new husband Mario. I plan on meeting her and starting the face to face "getting to know you" portion of the relationship as one of the first stops on my journey. From what I hear she is one of the nicest and most loving people on the face of the planet so I have a feeling it will be an easy and nice visit. I do note that she is rather quiet - though how much can you really say over a computer - and hope that this is not the full case as I struggle with conversation as well (hard to believe I know, but true).

Sadly, even though both of Jim's daughters life in Portland I hadn't met them yet, all of our lives being busier than we would like. I have talked to Jim's oldest, Ali, once via Facebook chat and she seems to be really put together, a bonus since, at 21, she is seven days past due for her first child. She and her fiance run an assisted living home up in Portland, a job that is in a growth industry and one that she seems to really love.

Rachel is the youngest at 18 and a definite livewire, always looking for something to do and willing to try anything once it seems. My first exposure to her was via Facebook chat a few weeks ago late at night, her HS perspective on sleep creating a latest bedtime challenge between her and her friends. From our brief visit I could tell I would like her even though I cannot really say I have too much of an understanding into what makes her tick, though typical teenage angst of 18 and lost understanding about her next step in life seems to befit her personality.

Finally able to meet them, it was easy to see a bit of Jim in both of them, there is no mistaking their genetic similarities, and it was great to see the bond between them as he beamed with pride while showing off their artwork and reminiscing about family trips. We all spent the afternoon sharing stories, eating pizza and playing poker, Laura taking everyone's money in the end. Sadly I was first out and Jim the second - I guess Doyle Brunson was right, women can play. A couple of hours later Ali had to shuffle off back to work and Rachel and myself opted to follow her lead.

And so I left my parents house again, this time with a better understanding into them both and with a newfound connection with two of my half sisters. As I was heading out the door, a couple of days away from my trip, Jim gave me a St.Christopher's charm that he carved from a piece of gold and tied to a piece of string as a good luck charm. Laura guaranteed its ability and so I asked her put her money where her mouth was, giving it a kiss to ensure its worth. Here's hoping that luck follows me, it seems to have so far as the two sisters I have met so far are people I want to spend my life catching up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I hope you feel the same way about us other two, as well.